[Om-announce] IEEE Computer Security Foundations Symposium (CSF 2008)

Andrei Sabelfeld andrei at cs.chalmers.se
Thu Oct 18 16:06:52 CEST 2007

		   Call For Papers/Panels/Workshops

       21st IEEE Computer Security Foundations Symposium (CSF)
		Pittsburgh, PA, USA, June 23-25, 2008

     Sponsored by the Technical Committee on Security and Privacy
		     of the IEEE Computer Society

CSF 2008 website:  http://www.cylab.cmu.edu/CSF2008/
CSF home page:     http://www.ieee-security.org/CSFWweb/
CSF CFP:           http://www.cs.chalmers.se/~andrei/CSF08/cfp.html

The IEEE Computer Security Foundations (CSF) series brings together
researchers in computer science to examine foundational issues in
computer security. Over the past two decades, many seminal papers and
techniques have been presented first at CSF. The CiteSeer Impact page
(http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/impact.html ) lists CSF as 38th out of
more than 1200 computer science venues, top 3.11% in impact based on
citation frequency.

This year's CSF will be colocated with the 23rd IEEE Symposium on
Logic in Computer Science (LICS). It will be held at Carnegie Mellon
University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA.

New theoretical results in computer security are welcome. Also welcome
are more exploratory presentations, which may examine open questions
and raise fundamental concerns about existing theories. Panel
proposals are sought as well as papers. Possible topics include, but
are not limited to:

* Access control
* Anonymity and Privacy
* Authentication
* Data and system integrity
* Database security
* Decidability and complexity
* Distributed systems security
* Electronic voting
* Executable content
* Formal methods for security
* Information flow
* Intrusion detection
* Language-based security
* Network security
* Resource usage control
* Security for mobile computing
* Security models
* Security protocols
* Trust and trust management

While CSF welcomes submissions beyond these topics, note that the main
focus of CSF is foundational security: submissions that lack
foundational aspects risk rejection.

Proceedings, published by the IEEE Computer Society Press, will be
available at the symposium, and selected papers will be invited for
submission to the Journal of Computer Security.

Important Dates

Workshop proposals due:       Tuesday, November 20, 2007
Papers due:                   Tuesday, January 29, 2008
Panel proposals due:          Thursday, March 6, 2008
Notification:                 Monday, March 17, 2008
Camera-ready papers:          Wednesday, April 9, 2008
Symposium:                    June 23-25, 2008

Program Committee

Michael Backes, Saarland University and Max-Planck-Institute for Software Systems, Germany
Gilles Barthe, INRIA, France
Bruno Blanchet, ENS, France
Iliano Cervesato, Carnegie Mellon University, Qatar
Stephen Chong, Cornell University, USA
Véronique Cortier, LORIA, France
Jason Crampton, Royal Holloway, University of London, UK
Anupam Datta, Carnegie Mellon University, USA
Úlfar Erlingsson, Microsoft Research Silicon Valley, USA
Riccardo Focardi, University of Venice, Italy
Cédric Fournet, Microsoft Research Cambridge, UK
Dieter Gollmann, Hamburg University of Technology, Germany
Masami Hagiya, University of Tokyo, Japan
James Heather, University of Surrey, UK
Jonathan Herzog, Naval Postgraduate School, USA
Peeter Laud, University of Tartu, Estonia
Jonathan Millen, MITRE, USA
John Mitchell, Stanford University, USA
Mark Ryan, University of Birmingham, UK
Andrei Sabelfeld, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden (chair)
Ravi Sandhu, University of Texas at San Antonio and TriCipher, USA
Andre Scedrov, University of Pennsylvania, USA
Vitaly Shmatikov, University of Texas at Austin, USA
Paul Syverson, Naval Research Laboratory, USA
Jan Vitek, Purdue University and IBM Research, USA

Paper Submission Instructions

Submitted papers must not substantially overlap with papers that have
been published or that are simultaneously submitted to a journal or a
conference with published proceedings. Papers should be submitted in
Portable Document Format (PDF). Papers submitted in a proprietary word
processor format such as Microsoft Word cannot be considered. At least
one coauthor of each accepted paper is required to attend CSF to
present the paper.

Papers may be submitted using the two-column IEEE Proceedings style
available for various document preparation systems at IEEE-CS
Press. Papers should be at most 12 pages long, not counting
bibliography and well-marked appendices.

Committee members are not required to read appendices, and so the
paper must be intelligible without them. Papers not adhering to the
page limits will be rejected without consideration of their merits.

The paper submission website will open in January 2008. Note that
the website is not configured to support anonymized submissions.

Panel Proposals

Proposals for panels are welcome. They should be no more than three
pages in length, and should include the names of possible panelists
and an indication of which of those panelists have confirmed a desire
to participate. They should be submitted by email to the program chair
by March 6, 2008.

Workshop Proposals

Workshop proposals are due November 20, 2007. Instructions on workshop
proposals are at http://www.cs.chalmers.se/~andrei/CSF08/cfw.html

Five-minute Talks

A session of five-minute talks was successful in the last three years,
so we are likely to have one again in 2008. Abstracts will be
solicited around May.

There are PDF and HTML versions of this call for papers at
http://www.cs.chalmers.se/~andrei/CSF08/cfp.html . For further
information contact:

|General Chair          |Program Chair        |Publications       |
|                       |                     |Chair              |
|Anupam Datta           |Andrei Sabelfeld     |Jonathan Herzog    |
|Carnegie               |Chalmers             |Computer Science   |
|Mellon                 |University of        |Naval Postgraduate |
|University             |Technology           |School             |
|Pittsburgh, PA 15213   |41296 Gothenburg     |Monterey, CA 93943 |
|USA                    |Sweden               |USA                |
|+1 412 268 4254        |+46 31 772 1000      |+1 831 656 3990    |
|danupam AT cmu.edu     |andrei AT chalmers.se|jcherzog AT nps.edu|