[Om-announce] 3rd Workshop on AI Techniques for Ambient Intelligence

Juan Carlos Augusto jc.augusto at ulster.ac.uk
Fri Feb 1 18:58:17 CET 2008

Call for Papers

3rd Workshop on Artificial Intelligence Techniques for Ambient Intelligence
(AITAmI'08) - Patras, Greece. 21-22 July 2008

Co-located event of ECAI 2008 ( www.ece.upatras.gr/ecai2008/calls.htm )
Background and Goals:  Imagine a future where human environments respond to
human preferences and needs. In this world, devices equipped with simple
intelligence and the abilities to sense, communicate, and act will be
unremarkable features of our world.  We will expect the car to warn us of
hazards, track our location and provide timely route advice.  We will speak
to simple machines and hold conversations with more complex systems, such as
intelligent homes that will help us monitor conditions, track routine tasks,
and program the behaviour of the heat, the lights, the garden watering and
the entertainment centre.  Analogous systems at work will make simple
decisions in our stead ranging from scheduling meetings to negotiating for
common services over the web. Such systems will also acquire, and adapt to
our preferences over time.  In sum, we will come to view simple software
intelligence as an ambient feature of our environment.

The infrastructure for ambient intelligence is fast coming on line.
Computational resources are cheap and becoming cheaper, while ubiquitous
network access has started to appear.  Market forces will soon produce
applications.  We take the view that ambient intelligence is imminent and
inevitable, and that the time is ripe to take stock. This workshop will
provide that opportunity by gathering researchers in a variety of AI
subfields together with representatives of commercial interests to explore
the technology and applications for ambient intelligence.

This workshop will complement related events, such as the International
Conference on Smart Homes and Telecare, and the European Conference on
Ambient Intelligence. This workshop differs in that it will focus on the
special relevance of Artificial Intelligence techniques to the goals of
Ambient Intelligence, and on the most likely avenues for practical
application. AITAmI'08 will provide an open forum based on a variety of
presentations: research papers, keynotes, panels and industrial demos.  This
event will build up on the topics discussed during the two previous
successful editions: AITAmI'06 held during ECAI'06 and AITAmI'07 held during
IJCAI'07.
Important Dates:

April 10th: submission deadline
May 10th: notification of evaluation
May 24th: camera ready submission

Web page: www.infj.ulst.ac.uk/~jcaug/aitami08.htm

Sponsors: This event is sponsored by the following companies: Philips,
Siemens, Nokia

Attendance: The workshop is open to all members of the ECAI community but
the number of participants will be  restricted by the room size. Preference
will be given to participants which have an accepted paper and the rest of
the participants will be selected according to background and order of
registration.

Invited Speakers: As in previous editions of this event distinguished
speakers will share their experiences and provide their insights on the
current trends of the field.

Conference in Artificial Intelligence, ECAI 2008:
www.ece.upatras.gr/ecai2008/calls.htmAreas of interest: include, but are not
limited to, the following:

- agent-based approach to AmI
- interaction with autonomous systems
- individual/group emotional status
- individual/group preferences
- mediating conflicting interests
- intelligent interactive systems
- multi-modal interfaces  (voice, image and video, bio-signals, handwriting,
etc.)
- modelling complex environments (smart homes, hospitals, museums,
transportation, classrooms, etc.)
- non invasive sensing and  interaction
- context awareness
- cognitive modelling of users
- applications (health, industry, teaching, supporting group collaboration,
etc.)
-  innovative applications of AI to Ambient Intelligence
- responsive/active architecture
- traditional relevant areas of  AI (KR, reasoning about actions,
spatio-temporal  reasoning,  CBR, planning,  uncertainty, learning, belief
revision, vision, decision- making, etc.)

Special Session on Vision-based Reasoning: this edition will have a session
devoted to the use of networks of video cameras as intelligent sensors
enabling smart environments. Contact the chair of the session Hamid Aghajan
(Stanford University, USA) aghajan 'at' stanford.edu for further inquiry or
visit http://wsnl.stanford.edu/AITAmI_08_VbR.pdf for paper submission
instructions.

Submission Details: Authors wishing to participate as speakers in this event
should format their papers following the same formatting guidelines than for
the main conference: http://www.ece.upatras.gr/ecai2008/substyles.htm
 More details of the submission process will be given in the web page of the
event.

Publications: all papers accepted will be published in the proceedings of
the event.  Related post-workshop publications will be pursued.

Ph.D. Grants: The organizers of this event will offer partial funding to
Ph.D. students with accepted papers at our event. The quality of the
submission and the financial situation of the student will be part of the
selection criteria.
Co-Chairs:

 J.C. Augusto (U. of Ulster, UK)
    jc.augusto 'at' ulster.ac.uk