[Om-announce] CFP - 4th Workshop on AI Techniques for Ambient Intelligence

Juan Carlos Augusto jc.augusto at ulster.ac.uk
Thu Apr 2 13:33:47 CEST 2009

Call for Papers

4th Workshop on Artificial Intelligence Techniques for Ambient Intelligence
(AITAmI'09) - Barcelona, Spain. 19th July 2009

Co-located with
5th International Conference on Intelligent Environments
20th-21st of July, 2009

Background and Goals:  Imagine a future where human environments respond to
human preferences and needs. In this world, devices equipped with simple
intelligence and the abilities to sense, communicate, and act will be
unremarkable features of our world.  We will expect the car to warn us of
hazards, track our location and provide timely route advice.  We will speak
to simple machines and hold conversations with more complex systems, such as
intelligent homes that will help us monitor conditions, track routine tasks,
and program the behaviour of the heat, the lights, the garden watering and
the entertainment centre.  Analogous systems at work will make simple
decisions in our stead ranging from scheduling meetings to negotiating for
common services over the web. Such systems will also acquire, and adapt to
our preferences over time.  In sum, we will come to view simple software
intelligence as an ambient feature of our environment.

The infrastructure for ambient intelligence is fast coming on line.
Computational resources are cheap and becoming cheaper, while ubiquitous
network access has started to appear.  Market forces will soon produce
applications.  We take the view that ambient intelligence is imminent and
inevitable, and that the time is ripe to take stock. This workshop will
provide that opportunity by gathering researchers in a variety of AI
subfields together with representatives of commercial interests to explore
the technology and applications for ambient intelligence.

Areas of interest: include, but are not limited to, the following:
- agent-based approaches to AmI
- interaction with autonomous systems
- individual/group emotional status
- individual/group preferences
- mediating conflicting interests
- intelligent interactive systems
- multi-modal interfaces  (voice, image and video, bio-signals, handwriting,
etc.)
- modelling complex environments (smart homes, hospitals, museums,
transportation, classrooms, etc.)
- non invasive sensing and interaction
- context awareness
- cognitive modelling of users
- applications (health, industry, teaching, supporting group collaboration,
etc.)
- responsive/active architecture
- innovative applications of AI to Ambient Intelligence
- traditional relevant areas of AI (KR, reasoning about actions,
spatio-temporal reasoning,  CBR, planning, uncertainty, learning, belief
revision, vision, decision-making, etc.)

Important Dates:
      April 30t, 2009: deadline first submission
      May 28th, 2009: notifications to authors
      June 12 2009: final version submitted

Publications: all papers accepted will be published in the proceedings of
the event.  Relevant post-workshop publications will be pursued.

Ph.D. Grants: The organizers of this event will seek to offer partial
funding to Ph.D. students with accepted papers at our event. The quality of
the submission and the financial situation of the student will be part of
the selection criteria.

Best Presentation Awards:  there will be prizes in the categories of 'Best
Presented Paper' and 'Best Presented Poster'.

Web page: www.infj.ulst.ac.uk/~jcaug/aitami09.htm

Co-Chairs:

    J.C. Augusto (U. of Ulster, UK)
           --> contact through: jc.augusto 'at' ulster.ac.uk

    D.  Cook (Washington State U., USA)

Program Committee

E. Aarts (Philips Res. Eindhoven)
H. Aghajan (Stanford U., USA)