[Om-announce] Logic in Question 8, Ecole Normale Supérieure, Paris 14 and 15 may 2018

jean-yves beziau beziau100 at gmail.com
Thu May 10 12:02:10 CEST 2018

Logic in Question 8, Ecole Normale Supérieure, Paris 14 and 15 may 2018
"Every Spring People Meet in Paris to Discuss about Logic"
http://www.logic-in-question.org

This month in Paris there is the commemoration of May 1968,
I decided therefore to present at LIQ-8 the talk
"Identité et égalité en logique, mathématique et politique"
where I examine the relation between Equality in Math and Logic and
Equality in Politics,
in particular how the  notion of equality stands in:
1776 - United States Declaration of Independence
1789 - Declaration of the Rights of the Man and of the Citizen, France
1948 - Universal Declaration of Human Rights
and how it makes sense or not from a logico-mathematical point of view.

We will also have at LIQ-8, a talk by  Anne-Françoise Schmid on Louis
Couturat
She is the editor of the two-volume correspondance between Couturat and
Russell:
Correspondance sur la philosophie, la logique et la politique : Bertrand
Russell et Louis Couturat, 1897-1913
https://www.amazon.fr/Correspondance-sur-philosophie-logique
-politique/dp/284174258X

In this correspondance Couturat and Russell talked about lots of diffrent
topics, in particular politics - both were pacifist.
Unfortunately Couturat died August 4, 1914 when his
car was accidentally hit by a military car  announcing mobilization of the
1st World War
He was born January 17, 1868, and to commemorate the 150th anniversary
of his birth we created this year Louis Couturat Logic Prize
http://www.uni-log.org/louis-couturat-logic-prize.html
part of a series of logic prizes, being developed following the motto
A prize of logic in every country!
http://www.uni-log.org/logic-prize-world

Jean-Yves Beziau