[om] OpenMath and Imaging

Michael Kohlhase kohlhase at ags.uni-sb.de
Tue Sep 28 17:21:29 CEST 1999

Dear all,

> This discussion seems to be concentrating on the part
> of the problem that is relatively trivial because it
> assumes all rendering problems are local: if you get
> the right rendition of a Greek letter, you are happy.
>
> There are undoubtedly many solutions to this.
>
> Why don't you solve the harder problems, for
> example:

I think that yes presenting single OM symbols and variables is
unproblematic. Howeber, for OM applications and OMBindings, the problem
begins. My problem is to write an XSL rule that can do the following:

from

<OMA>
  <OMS cd="cartesian-products" name="pair"/>
  <OMV name="a"/>
  <OMV name="b"/>
</OMA>

generate (a,b). The problem here is that the dominance structure of the
trees is not preserved. I have tried

<xsl:template match='OMA/OMS[@cd="cartesian-products" and @name="pair"]'>
  (<xsl:value-of select="following-sibling"/>,<xsl:value-of select="following-sibling"/>)
</xsl:template>

but of course this does not work. The problem is that when you are working
on the OMA element, you have to do different things based on the choice of
the function symbol. My preference (but I have not been able to do this in
XSL) would be to give the function symbol "pair" something like
PP=$\lambda XY.(X,Y)$, i.e. a function that takes the arguments "a" and "b"
and puts them into the right places. Maybe PP should be a javascript applet
or so? I do not know.

I think that it will be important to have the formatting information
located with the symbol, so that we can have "presentation files"
associated with the CDs, which can then be combined to a larger stylesheet,
which can then be used to process the files.

   Priv. Doz. Dr. Michael Kohlhase, FB Informatik,  Bau 36, Zi. 220.1
   Universit"at des Saarlandes, 66041 Saarbr"ucken, Germany
   tel/fax: (49)-681-302-4628/2235 net: <kohlhase at cs.uni-sb.de>
   http://www.ags.uni-sb.de/~kohlhase/
Post public announcements to om-announce at openmath.org
Automatic list maintenance software at majordomo at openmath.org