[om] Re: OM-services

Paul Libbrecht paul at ags.uni-sb.de
Wed Dec 13 17:55:07 CET 2000

On Wednesday, December 13, 2000, at 05:01 PM, Richard Fateman wrote:

> I think that the OM effort must take into account
> the reality that CAS systems are NOT defined
> axiomatically, but pragmatically.  Imposing an
> axiomatic definition on any but the simplest operations
> is not going to be an accurate reflection of
> what is happening.

Still have the hope that there must be something possible
for a semantic equivalence of some operations.
This is clearly what our whole discussion is about.

> If you want to write a new pure axiomatic CAS
> or collection of servers, then that is fine.
> But it will not be very interesting, beyond
> the realm of polynomials over finite fields
> or the rationals.

Floating polynomials with an accepted (or declared
after computation) inaccuracy should also be reached
I believe.

But I know the war is going to be difficult and your
experience is certainly one of the most (the only one ?)
concrete around here. May I request another chance ?

Paul
Post public announcements to om-announce at openmath.org
Automatic list maintenance software at majordomo at openmath.org