[om] openmath critique; ISSAC 2001

Andreas Strotmann strotman at cs.fsu.edu
Thu Apr 5 17:49:36 CEST 2001

Richard,

as far as I know (and *please* correct me if I'm wrong), only one OpenMath
paper ever made it into the ISSAC proceedings: Dalmas et al's "An
Implementation of OpenMath".  The OpenMath Objectives paper we submitted
in 95 was rejected "because it reported on unfinished work," and then was
accepted as a poster.  Thus, it is at least consistent with apparent ISSAC
editorial policies that the only OpenMath paper in ISSAC is one about
implementing it: only reports on actually running pieces of software
appear to be acceptable in the systems track. Your paper appears to have
fallen into the same trap as other OpenMath papers before yours.

BTW: there have been quite a few *references* to OpenMath in ISSAC papers.

It also sounds fair to me to suggest that you publish your criticism in
the same journal that published the original, namely, the SIGSAM Bulletin.
As far as I know, that is indeed the accepted practice in publishing, both
within and outside science.  This appears to be particularly fair as you
cite little OpenMath literature outside that Bulletin issue.  (You'd be
surprised how much there is to find beyond that issue for those who look.)

Regards,

    Andreas Strotmann

"The act of defending any of the cardinal virtues has today
all the exhilaration of a vice." -
G.K.Chesterton: A Defense of Humilities, The Defendant, 1901
                           www.chesterton.org/acs/quotes.htm

Post public announcements to om-announce at openmath.org
Automatic list maintenance software at majordomo at openmath.org