[om] critique of the notion of phrasebook

Andrew Solomon andrew at illywhacker.net
Fri Jun 22 11:46:14 CEST 2001

Thanks Andreas for the historical perspective.
It makes clear that the issues I discuss have been bubbling at the
surface of everyone's consciousness.

To continue my question then, is a phrasebook realizable?
Since, as you say, it isn't really possible
to translate the whole by translating its parts (where are my crystals...)
surely there can be no machine to do the translation which doesn't have
each class of objects explicitly coded for? On the face of it,
there is an infinite range of very distinct classes.

Andrew

PIMS/MITACS/CECM                       http://www.cecm.sfu.ca
Simon Fraser University
Personal homepage:                     http://www.illywhacker.net