[om] A Proposal for extending OpenMath with structure sharing

Andreas Strotmann strotman at cs.fsu.edu
Thu Apr 4 01:38:45 CEST 2002

Michael,

I think the problem is specific to the question of sharing.  The question
is: What is the semantic interpretation of a syntactic sharing, is it
something like

A)  interpret(ref(label)) = deref'(label) where deref' is dereferencing
         on the semantic layer
    (syntactic sharing => semantic sharing)

or is it

B)  interpret(ref(label)) = interpret(deref(label))
    (syntactic sharing does not imply semantic sharing necessarily)

My interpretation is therefore most closely related to your version [2]
below.

My point is that OpenMath needs to explicitly state which one of these two
possible interpretations of syntactic sharing it wants.  If it wants to be
Maple-friendly, interpretation B is the one that would be advisable, but
the other one would be a possible choice, too.

Note that B) is also the only choice that I can see is compatible with
avoiding changing the OpenMath Standard itself, since right now the
standard does not say anything at all about the semantics of common
sub-trees in an OM Object (the way I understand that document).

 -- Andreas

Post public announcements to om-announce at openmath.org
Automatic list maintenance software at majordomo at openmath.org