[om] A Proposal for extending OpenMath with structure sharing

Richard Fateman fateman at cs.berkeley.edu
Fri Apr 5 18:41:27 CEST 2002

While labels may solve some problems,
I think labels actually open up a can of worms.

1. What is the scope of a label?
2. Unless an XML parser understands them, any
expression using them could be unsyntactic.
or uncheckable.

I think that circular structures could be described
in other ways, just by listing their elements and
say "make a circular list of them"

It is not clear to me if your other points were
objections to lambda notation, implying that this
would require them, or were independent suggestions.
If OM already has summation, integration, universal or
existential quantification, it already has lambda binding and
must address binding order.

I do not see a need for any special notation for
a fixed point operator or, for that matter, evaluation
or assignment  in OM.

If one were to introduce such things, it would make
it possible to (for example) write a lisp
interpreter in it and by extension, your choice
of a number of computer algebra system (Macsyma, Reduce, Axiom,
"mock"MMa).

RJF

Post public announcements to om-announce at openmath.org
Automatic list maintenance software at majordomo at openmath.org