[om] semantics of structure sharing

Richard Fateman fateman at cs.berkeley.edu
Fri Apr 12 04:31:06 CEST 2002

I don't understand this OMA(choice... ) business, but frankly
any time an OM utterance evaluates ANYTHING, it seems to me
to be overstepping its bounds.
Somehow requiring OM to evaluate random()  more than once
goes much further.

OM can presumably convey two messages from point A to point B.
in lisp...

(f (+ (random 10)(random 10))

or
   ((lambda(x)(f (+ x x))) (random 10))

It cannot in either case say what (random 10) means.  only
the recipient can do that.

And frankly, the recipient can evaluate these in any of several
ways, including a way that maps the second utterance to the
first, probably doing an injustice to the system uttering
the lambda.   (But ONLY in the case that random is not a function.
If random is a function, the Church-Rosser theorem says they
are equivalent if they both terminate.)

Perhaps it would help if OM people were more conversant with
functional programming.  Apologies for repeating myself..

RJF

Post public announcements to om-announce at openmath.org
Automatic list maintenance software at majordomo at openmath.org