[om] Little question about Coq theories in OpenMath

Olga Caprotti Olga.Caprotti at risc.uni-linz.ac.at
Thu Jul 11 11:31:58 CEST 2002

Hi Paul,

I met Claudio Sacerdoti Coen in Marseille last week and we talked
about this issue. It seems to me that both approaches have to be
allowed: the second (richer CDs) needed when one interfaces Coq with
systems that have similar formal precision, the first needed when
Coq talks to systems that basically are not type-aware or formal.
This first approach is the one I used for the Pocklington example which
however was dealing with very simple objects to be sent to GAP.

Simpler questions have to be answered first when trying to use OpenMath
instead of Content-MML (with lots of csymbols). For instance,
Claudio asked me how to convert a function like divide which in Coq
takes 3 arguments: numerator, denominator and a proof that the
denominator is not zero. In this case I believe it would be useful
to have such a divide symbol in OpenMath: it would even be possible to
keep the extra information in types-unaware systems e.g. using something
like "assert" in Maple. Maybe James can comment on this further.

I guess the choice of which symbol to put in a CD is an art and not
so easy to decide. To this end, it would help to extend HELM to systems
other that COQ or even to start comparing MBase theories with Coq theories.

Olga

Olga Caprotti         caprotti at risc.uni-linz.ac.at
RISC-Linz, Johannes Kepler University, A-4040 Linz
Post public announcements to om-announce at openmath.org
Automatic list maintenance software at majordomo at openmath.org