[om] A Proposal for extending OpenMath with structure sharing

Richard Fateman fateman at cs.berkeley.edu
Wed Jun 26 17:03:08 CEST 2002

Do we guide our design by what the least capable recipient of
any OM message might do?
The appropriate message might be "I'm too stupid to handle
valid OM messages that contain cycles"  or maybe "segmentation
violation".  But anyone clever enough to detect
the cycle would have a shorter program just by handling it
instead of making an error.
If such a cycle makes no sense, that's not a problem. Lots
of things that program A can utter in OM may be meaningless
to program B.  Mathematica can talk trash to Maple and vice versa.

RJF

Post public announcements to om-announce at openmath.org
Automatic list maintenance software at majordomo at openmath.org