[om] comments on documents

Richard Fateman fateman at cs.berkeley.edu
Fri May 17 16:42:49 CEST 2002

I assume it is better to criticize OM here ON this newsgroup
than as a potshot from elsewhere.  Here it is.

The documents don't make consistent
sense.  It seems from a casual reading, that

   OM encoding doesn't specify presentation.
   MathML doesn't specify content.

Both of these are essentially false, easily observed by
(a) the conversion of OM to MathML and to TeX. So OM specifies
(or can be used to specify) presentation.
(b) MathML has a content component, which could either
point to some OM piece or not.

You also claim that OM objects can be

* verified as being mathematically sound (or not!)

I don't know what this means.  Mathematically well-formed?
True?  (1+1=3  might be well-formed but not true).
Either provably true or provably not true?  or
  (provably true) or not (provably true?   {a tautology).

There is a side issue about standardization and how
this is done.  One technique used in industry where
there are competing technologies is to stamp out
competition by attempting to elevate one proposal
to be the standard.  Self-praise is no recommendation.
To what established international body is the OM
standard going to be submitted?  Certainly the OM
committee is not sufficient.

RJF

Post public announcements to om-announce at openmath.org
Automatic list maintenance software at majordomo at openmath.org