[om] Re: comments on documents

David Carlisle davidc at nag.co.uk
Mon May 20 17:26:48 CEST 2002

> MathML deals with the presentation of mathematical objects
> and also to some extent their meaning.  OpenMath does the
> same except using different markers, and with a different
> emphasis, more on content.  OM can be extended by the publishing of
> content dictionaries. MathML can be altered by appeal
> to W3C.   The display of either MathML
> or OM can be altered by style sheets.

> (Is this all true?)

No,  I don't think any of it is true, taking the statements one at a
time....

"OpenMath does the same" would imply that OM had something
corresponding to Presentation MathML, which it does not.

"OM can be extended by the publishing of content dictionaries.
MathML can be altered by appeal to W3C."

It would be better to say that Content MathML can similarly be extended
by referring to OpenMath Content Dictionaries (using the definitionURL
attribute). Unlike OM which has a defined format for such definitions
(Content Dictionaries) MathML definitionURL attributes may point at
definitions in any format, (OpenMath, plain text, maple code, ...)

"The display of either MathML or OM can be altered by style sheets."

Content MathML has a default rendering. In some applications this
rendering may be altered by use of stylesheets. OpenMath has no default
rendering, one must always supply a stylesheet or some other mechanism
that specifies a rendering.

David

Post public announcements to om-announce at openmath.org
Automatic list maintenance software at majordomo at openmath.org