[om] Re: comments on documents

Richard Fateman fateman at cs.berkeley.edu
Mon May 20 18:19:43 CEST 2002

OK, let's try again. It seems to me that you don't
argue with the first sentence, so let's keep it.
"MathML deals with the presentation of mathematical
objects and also to some extent their meaning."

Sentence 2
" OpenMath does the
same except using different markers, and with a different
emphasis, more on content."

How about
"OpenMath deals with the syntactic arrangement of operators
and operands -- essentially a syntax tree -- that can
constitute a mathematical object.  This representation,
coupled with a style sheet, allows OM objects to be displayed.
Phrasebooks allow OM objects to be converted to objects in
some particular software system."

Note that I added a mention of phrasebooks, which I hope
is appropriate.

Sentence 3 and 4.
" OM can be extended by the publishing of
content dictionaries. MathML can be altered by appeal
to W3C.

I think you agree with sentence 3. But let's combine it with 4:

"Both OM and MathML can be extended.  OM can be extended
by content dictionaries in a defined format.  MathML can
be extended through reference to a definition URL which
might be in OpenMath format, but perhaps in other form."

sentence 5 says

"The display of either MathML
or OM can be altered by style sheets."

How about
"Display of MathML is always possible via a default
mechanism, but this can be altered in some contexts by
reference to a stylesheet.  There is no default
rendering for OM* but it is possible to associate
an OM object with a stylesheet.

*Huh?  what about <OMOBJ> ... </OMOBJ> ?

David Carlisle wrote:

>>MathML deals with the presentation of mathematical objects
>>and also to some extent their meaning.  OpenMath does the
>>same except using different markers, and with a different
>>emphasis, more on content.  OM can be extended by the publishing of
>>content dictionaries. MathML can be altered by appeal
>>to W3C.   The display of either MathML
>>or OM can be altered by style sheets.
>>

>>(Is this all true?)

............. combining everything...........

[...]

How does this sound?
...no interspersed comments below. Just David's text.  RJF..

Post public announcements to om-announce at openmath.org
Automatic list maintenance software at majordomo at openmath.org