[om] AMS55 Online // Copyright??

Richard Fateman fateman at cs.berkeley.edu
Mon Nov 4 19:35:51 CET 2002

OCR programs are typically optimized for 300dpi scans. There are
no commercial programs that can handle mathematics, and the
handful of academic projects (including a recent project here at Berkeley)
would need some post-editing to produce acceptable TeX, MathML,
etc.  (try a web search for  fateman, berman  or okamoto )

Any recent commercial OCR program would get most of the text out
of your page images, e.g. omnipage, adobe capture, fineweb.

  I don't
know what the legal status is for a copyright of a scanned image
of something in the public domain, and would be curious as to
whether a lawyer advised you on this. If I ran my copy through
a copying machine I presumably couldn't assert copyright.

Thanks for scanning it though.
RJF

Post public announcements to om-announce at openmath.org
Automatic list maintenance software at majordomo at openmath.org