[om] a small suggestion re CDs

Professor James Davenport jhd at cs.bath.ac.uk
Fri Sep 27 08:52:50 CEST 2002

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002, Andreas Strotmann wrote:
> I just noticed that there is a bit of an inconsistency in the pattern of
> arguments of operators that take both a set and a function operating on
> that set as an argument -- map, suchthat, sum, product, definite
> integral...
> Some of them take the set as a first argument and the function as a
> second, some do it the other way around.
> Let's try and be more consistent in the future.
You're right: there are inconsistencies. This is in a long tradition:
different dialects of LISP differed in the order of arguments to MAPCAR as
well.
I don't think we can change existing ones now, but I agree that more
consistency would help: I find myself having to look up each such
function. Incidentally, this does show the use of STS - at least that's
how I normally check.
James
Post public announcements to om-announce at openmath.org
Automatic list maintenance software at majordomo at openmath.org