[om] OM Floats (XML Representation)

Richard Fateman fateman at cs.berkeley.edu
Mon Dec 1 16:23:34 CET 2003

I haven't looked (recently) at the Java treatment of IEEE NaN,
but unless it redefines the underlying hardware, there should be lots
of NaNs in it.  There may be one canonical NaN value (in each format)
if you do  x = NaN, but that doesn't prevent a program from using
a different NaN.

Before you take too much guidance from Java, you might also look at

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~wkahan/JAVAhurt.pdf

which contains a paper, "How Java's floating point hurts everyone
everywhere".

It is my own view that the goals of clean algebraic specification and
practical floating point
computation are probably irreconcilable, my own efforts included.  Over
the years
I have written a number of papers relating IEEE floats and computer
algebra, all of which
have been rejected by ISSAC program committee members as being irrelevant to
computer algebra. Maybe they are right, that they are mutually
exclusive.  In which
case maybe OM should just encapsulate IEEE floats as some kind of
foreign object.

(In case you wonder about what those papers might be about,
one can use signed infinities nicely in  interval arithmetic, and for
retrospective
diagnostics. I think they are all on line.

I don't know if there is an OM CD for intervals yet.)

RJF

Post public announcements to om-announce at openmath.org
Automatic list maintenance software at majordomo at openmath.org