[om] DefMP elements

Professor James Davenport jhd at cs.bath.ac.uk
Sun Dec 7 19:53:14 CET 2003

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Bruce Miller wrote:

> Jacques Carette wrote:
> > On the multiple facets of sin:  could one instead use trig1, trig2, trig3,
> > ...., trig10 CDs, each with different syntactic FMPs (and correspondingly
> > different used CDs) to build 'equivalent' systems?  One for high-school
> > definitions, one for the exp definition, one for the series definition, etc,
> > etc. I understood that to be the original OM design of having multiple CDs.
> > Each OM application could then use the 'right' CD and not worry about math
> > it does not know (or want).
>
> But the catch there, is that the _generating_ application has to choose the
> CD's according to the destination application.  If it's doing that, it
> may as well just write maple/mathematica code or whatever.
Absolutely.
> Here's another terminology: C macros vs Lisp macros :>
>
> But seriously, I can see the application of James's more restrictive
> FMPs.  However, I can't see that a single simple FMP for a symbol would cover
> all the weaker applications that might benefit from such substitutions.
One can have as many FMPs as one wants: there's one that the CD writer
flags as the simplifying one.
> Is it feasable to provide multiple simple-FMP's and expect the application
> to choose the one that substitutes in terms of symbols that it does know?
But what happens if it doesn't understand any, but would do after two
substitutions. One reason for a single one is to avoid this large (and if
one is not careful infinite) search.
> Alternatively, maybe I don't agree after all. Isn't it a phrasebook issue?
> If an application claims to understand a given CD, then isn't it responsible
> for recognizing all the symbols in that CD? --- possibly by substituting
> in a way that is optimal for itself.
But the defining FMP canonicalises this substitution. If a phrasebook
wishes to do something else, it can, but the phrasebook author is
responsible for ensuring that his mapping is mathematically equivalent to
the CD writer's one.
James
Post public announcements to om-announce at openmath.org
Automatic list maintenance software at majordomo at openmath.org