[om] DefMP elements

Richard Fateman fateman at cs.berkeley.edu
Wed Dec 10 02:52:09 CET 2003

And is pi a numerical value?  How about  pi^2+e ?
And what about sin(1)?
thus   sin(1)  means   sin(1)    looks ok to computer algebra systems.
so does tan(x) means sin(x)/cos(x).  Is x a numerical value?

In a CAS, there is typically a definition for a function Q that
looks like this:

 Q(x):=   case
             is x a special argument like pi, infinity, ... for which Q
has a special value?
             is x a peculiar kind of argument like a matrix, an interval
etc.  ..do something
             is x an explicit numerical quantity for which Q(x) can be
computed approximately,
                 and is the context such that the approximation is
expected to be computed?
             is x nothing special, but Q(x) can be decomposed to some
other basis functions
                  like sin/cos into complex exponentials,  and does the
context require this?
              is x nothing special and no other transformations apply,
so leave Q(x) alone.

Q could be sin.

I'm sure that one could elaborate on the cases above; I am just writing this
freehand.

If you insist than sin be given an explicit numerical value, you are
describing
something like BASIC.

RJF

Post public announcements to om-announce at openmath.org