[om] DefMP elements

Jacques Carette carette at mcmaster.ca
Fri Dec 12 04:17:03 CET 2003

Bill Naylor <Bill.Naylor at mcs.vuw.ac.nz> wrote:
> Are these then the most general type of Numerical Value?

A very general type of 'number' that mathematicians have come up with is Conway's set 'On' (to my knowledge, though I
have researched this a lot).  There are isomorphic constructions from Model Theory as well.  And some similar
constructions using Category Theory, but not quite as general(!).  It is a real closed field, but non-archimedean.  In
a very precise sense, it is the biggest such.  It is interesting (to me) as it is possible to develop a very rich
theory of analysis with On.

There are others who consider other generalizations (complex, quaternions, etc) to be numbers; I do not know where
this 'stops'.  But since these have all very nice Matrix models, many have considered matricies to be generalized
numbers as well.

Trying to pin down 'the' definition of number is likely to be even more difficult than figuring out 'the' definition
of sin.

Jacques
Post public announcements to om-announce at openmath.org
Automatic list maintenance software at majordomo at openmath.org