[om] Newbie questions on the meaning of the Attribution Element

Cem Karan cfkaran2 at comcast.net
Sun Jan 12 15:04:04 CET 2003

OK, so they are totally open to anything...does this mean that all
applications need to understand all of the attributions of an element?
Using your example of the LaTeX encoding, lets say that I have an
application that is able to output the answer to 2+5, but it doesn't
understand LaTeX.  The numbers and plus sign have been attributed so
that you can output the string '2+5'.  My application operates on the
2+5 to get 7.  I'm assuming that if it then outputs 7 in the XML
encoding using the content dictionary that provided the encodings for
the other numbers, it will automatically output the correct attribution
as well.  I'm asking this because there might be a way (no, I can't
think of one off of the top of my head) to create an attribute that is
'out of sync' with their corresponding elements.  If there isn't, then
I can break my code into much smaller portions, having each portion
operate only on the part of the OM object that it understands, rather
than having to understand everything at once.

Thanks,
Cem Karan

Post public announcements to om-announce at openmath.org
Automatic list maintenance software at majordomo at openmath.org