[om] Newbie questions on the meaning of the Attribution Element

Cem Karan cfkaran2 at comcast.net
Sun Jan 12 23:52:47 CET 2003

If all of this true, then OpenMath quickly becomes meaningless; the
goal (at least as I understand it) of OM is to guarantee the ability to
communicate between two (or more) programs or components.  My program
does not, and probably never will understand how to talk to Maple using
Maple's native encodings (or anything else for that matter; if it uses
OM, then it will use the CDs in as pure a manner as possible).  I know
that OM does not guarantee that the attribute elements are going to
correspond to OM elements that are in the CDs, and I know that I can't
force other users to do so correctly.  Would it be worth making a
version of OM where the attribute element is deprecated?  Much of what
it seems to supply can probably be supplied via other namespaces; this
includes binary information, which can be base64 encoded.  The
advantage to removing the attribute element from the OM namepace is
that any application that claims to use OM as its communication medium
wouldn't be able to limit itself to using attribute elements only, it
would have to use information that other parsers could also use.

Thanks,
Cem Karan

Post public announcements to om-announce at openmath.org
Automatic list maintenance software at majordomo at openmath.org