[om] About new XML encoding methods for OpenMath

Michael Kohlhase Michael_Kohlhase at asuka.mt.cs.cmu.edu
Wed May 21 16:19:40 CEST 2003

Dear all,

Actually, did not suggest anything, I was summarizing the discussion in the
OM2 committee. Other than this, I did suggest in OMDoc 1.1 to use

<OMS cd="omstd:set1" name="in xmlns:omstd="http:www.mathweb.org/cd"/>

the namespace declaration could be anywhere above this. This is the form
Paul is probably referring to. But I have since reconsidered this
suggestion and it was not in my talk. The nice thing about misappropriating
namespace mechanism for cataloging purposes is that it is relatively
lightweigt. This particular use (qnames in attribute values) is not
terribly well supported. If I remember correctly, this case is not even
considered in W3C specifications like XML fragment (not that many people
use that anyway).

With respect to the other (radical-namespaces) suggestion, which I did
mention in my talk I am going back and forth like David. Maybe the way to
go is to develop both XML encodings, to a point, where we can see where
they are leading, and then let people vote with their feet.

     Michael

Post public announcements to om-announce at openmath.org
Automatic list maintenance software at majordomo at openmath.org