[om] Draft Specification of OpenMath 2

Mike Dewar miked at nag.co.uk
Mon Oct 13 16:22:08 CEST 2003

At the OpenMath workshop in Pisa last year there were discussions about
a number of proposals for major revisions to the OpenMath standard.  As
a result of this a working party was formed to investigate the issues
involved and to produce a revised document.  An interim report was given
at the workshop in Eindhoven in May and we have now completed a first
draft which we hope to discuss at the meeting in Bremen next month.  The
draft can be found under http://www.openmath.org/standard/om20 .  There
is a description of the major changes in Appendix F.

Two issues which were discussed in Pisa have not made it into this
document.  The first is the issue of having attributes on FMPs in CDs to
indicate whether they are definitions or not.  We hope to address this
issue in a further draft before the meeting in Bremen.  The second is
the question of having a more "namespace-friendly" XML encoding.  After
the discussions in Eindhoven we have decided to keep the existing OMS
syntax and have instead created a mechanism for providing a canonical
URI for symbols.  This maintains backwards compatibility for objects (an
OM 1.1 object is still a legal OM 2 object) while providing the
necessary mechanism for symbols to be referred to in RDFS-style
applications.

Please direct comments, criticisms and further suggestions to the
om at openmath.org list.

Kind regards,

Mike.

http://www.star.net.uk