[om] semantics of n-ary xor?

Andreas Strotmann Strotmann at rrz.uni-koeln.de
Wed Sep 17 17:25:34 CEST 2003

Thanks, David!

David Carlisle wrote:

>>Now I ask you:  what exactly *is* the meaning of n-ary xor in MathML (or
>>OpenMath, for that matter)?
>>

>We did discus this at some length in an OM meeting somewhere, the result
>is that OM and MathML are consistent here:

I've clearly been missing too many of those meetings...  Sorry for
bringing up an old hat then.

>Openmath says (logic1 CD)
>
><Description>
>This symbol represents the logical xor function which is an n-ary
>function taking boolean arguments and returning a boolean
>value. It is true if there are an odd number of true arguments or
>false otherwise.
></Description>
>
>MathML says (C.2.3.15)
>
>The is the n-ary logical "xor" operator. The constructed expression has
>a truth value of true if an odd number of its arguments are true.

I think this should be put in the corresponding section of chapter 4,
too, then.  (Sorry, I hadn't started working on proof-reading Chapter C
yet when I wrote this).

>We did find some references to support this definition, but I don't have
>them to hand at present, perhaps James or Stan can cite something?

Oh, this is clearly the "logical" extension of the original binary xor,
so I'm not surprised you'd find a document specifying it this way.  The
argument why the other "common sense" definition might be better would
probably not turn up in the context of such a book, since the "big"
version of that xor, exists-uniquely, is not always actually written as
one (though sometimes it is -- come to think of it, several professors
at my university actually did teach it during my undergrad math years -
they preferred the big-or notation for exists, too).

Anyway, this is no problem as long as there is a specific definition one
way or the other.  The "other" reading of an n-ary xor can always be
provided under another symbol name (external to MathML, "internal" to
OpenMath).  It's just too bad that only that "other" reading  gives a
really nice "big" version.

 -- Andreas
Post public announcements to om-announce at openmath.org
Automatic list maintenance software at majordomo at openmath.org