[om] RIACA OpenMath Library 2.0 RC3

Manolis Mavrikis m.mavrikis at ed.ac.uk
Thu Jan 13 11:18:48 CET 2005

Manfred,

    hi (and happy new year by the way)

    I #ve been using the RIACA library for WaLLiS to handle the OpenMath
objects there but now I am also writing an open-source support for
OpenMath for MathQTI (the extension of QTI that I talked to you during
the meeting in Augsburg).

    I have a suggestion that occured to me when I in my code I often
have to explicitly distinguish between OMI, OMSTR and OMF when it comes
to evaluation. So for example, I have an arithmetic expression evaluator
and  the code was really complicated because of that. Therefore I have
written an extension of the main OMObject that has one extra method
getValue that checks the object's type and returns an object (Integer,
String, Double) accordingly or null if it doesn't make sense.
Unfortunately, this is not reusable at all and looks a bit hacky. So if
someone else uses my ArithmeticEvaluator they will get this ExtOMOBject
as a result. Of course it is convertable to an OMOBject but it's not so
convenient (programming-wise) . I was thinking that perhaps it makes
sense to add this method (even if it is not implemented) to the main
OMObject or just implement it for OMI, OMF, OMSTR (or for the objects
that actually makes sense) in order to have a common way of getting the
value of these objects.

    Please let me know what you think and if you think it would be
possible to include such a thing in RC3.

    Thanks,

Manolis
Post public announcements to om-announce at openmath.org
Automatic list maintenance software at majordomo at openmath.org