[Om] usage of OM symbols for physical units

Paul Libbrecht paul at activemath.org
Tue May 30 15:44:44 CEST 2006

Dear OpenMathers,

It's a shame that there is no link from the CD pages to such a document!
as that indicated by Bill! We'd need to make such links appear.
Here, a simple link on the top of the CD presentation would have lead me
and Christian into exploring how and why arith1/times for units.

I discovered another issue which seems harder with the usage of the
times symbol: rendering of notation-times is typically different than
rendering of normal multiplications... so we need either to write
conditions for just about any possible unit-usage (so, one for X*m^2,
one for X*m^3, X*(cm)^2...) or need to have another way to know that the
right-hand-side is a unit... The only reliable mechanism is see is types
which... mmmh... is expensive and beyond XSLT!
So I would be in favor of a dedicated times.

As to the Occam's razor, the law of parsimony, I will always suggest my
"rephrases" which are translation rules expected to be operated to
convert an expression with symbols in one CD-group to an expression with
symbols in another. Conversion to the MathML CD of X•m^2 (with m a
symbol in units_metric1) would be X*m^2 (with m a variable!).

paul