[Om] [Om3] units

John Ogilvie ogilvie at cecm.sfu.ca
Wed Jul 11 19:38:11 CEST 2007

       A 'mole', abbreviated 'mol' (which is minimal abbreviation), is
defined as the amount of chemical substance that contains a number of
molecules equal to Avogadro's constant, or perhaps a number of formula
units for cases in which an individual molecule is poorly defined, such as
carbon in diamond or sodium chloride in a crystal of common salt.  In any
case for dinitrogen and for dioxygen, yes -- definitely, a mole of O2 is
exactly equivalent to a mole of N2, as each contains by definition
(6.02214179+-0.00000030)x10^23 molecules, within the accuracy of the
value of Avogadro's constant.  One mole of N2 thus reacts with one mole
of O2 to yield two moles of nitrogen oxide NO as product, according to
the chemical equation
           N2 + O2 = 2 NO
in which mass and charge AND (in this particular case) numbers of moles
are conserved, and which conforms to the law of multiple proportions.
      It would be helpful for the development of civilisation if the knowledge
of mathematicians and 'computer scientists' included a greater awareness
of basic aspects of natural science (natural philosophy).
      J. F. Ogilvie
                (M.A., Ph.D., formerly research fellow of Emmanuel College)