[Om] [Om3] Math in office documents/Providing an implementation for a symbol

Professor James Davenport jhd at cs.bath.ac.uk
Tue Dec 16 10:53:42 CET 2008

[I'm taking Paul's advice and redirecting to om ratehr than om3]
On Mon, December 15, 2008 11:35 pm, Paul Libbrecht wrote:
> This an interesting thread... quite a pan-galactic one.
>
> I tend to agree with the vision described in:
>    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office-comment/200812/msg00016.html
I have looked at this,and tend to agree that it WOULD be nice, but is
unfortunately impractical: one need only look at the variety of notations
in use, and continually growing, today. Our (Paul's and my) paper at
http://opus.bath.ac.uk/468/ gives some hints in this direction. I have
just (totally independently) added a new paragraph 11.2 to
http://staff.bath.ac.uk/masjhd/Drafts/Notation.pdf, describing a piece of
notation that fell into my lap over breakfast this morning, and which
breaks previous conventions about \sum.
> (I haven't read attachments yet)
I tried and failed (no doubt I need some OO code even tobe able to read it).
> One seems to be able to propose even a lot more with the web at hand.
I think here Paul is referring to our paper and similar work.

James Davenport
Hebron & Medlock Professor of Information Technology
Formerly RAE Coordinator and Undergraduate Director of Studies, CS Dept
Lecturer on CM30070, 30078, 50209, 50123, 50199
Chairman, Powerful Computing WP, University of Bath
OpenMath Content Dictionary Editor
IMU Committee on Electronic Information and Communication