[Om] [Om3] Math in office documents/Providing an implementation for a symbol

Paul Libbrecht paul at activemath.org
Thu Dec 18 09:44:48 CET 2008

Hello Bryce,

Le 16-déc.-08 à 03:12, Bryce L Nordgren a écrit :
> I posted to OM3 mostly because it seemed that MathML3 was tooling up
> to directly reference OM3 content dictionaries.  Also, I may have
> missed something, but from what I can tell, the only way to define
> new symbols for use with either MathML or OM is to define it within
> an OM content dictionary.

OM3 is a fine discussion for that, it is indeed slightly more followed
by the W3C-math-wG but much less from OpenMath veterans. I'll allow
myself to cross-post even though it's not really elegant.

> Asking here seemed the appropriate place, especially if discussion
> risked articulating a new requirement of the system.

This is true indeed.
A new requirement of the "standard" and not "system", right?

The below mail seems indeed to express a wish to specify symbols with
a single way to interprete them. I feel it is a bad practice but
still, it can be achieved today, with zero DEFMP or extra
implementation element: your symbol declaration  should contain a
single FMP, that specifying the implementation.

The only freedom you leave to receivers of such a symbol declaration
is to take the freedom to consider an own interpretation of that
symbol to be equivalent to that symbol satisfying the prescribed
function equality.

Do you want to even avoid that freedom?
I really don't see a reason and it shows a global mistrust to
mathematics.
As far as I know, a system "implements FMPs" by just having their
developers "knowing" that their implementations satisfy the FMP in a
theoretical way. That knowledge may be wrong but that would be a bug
of them.

  (please note: there's more than evaluating to a "implementing" a
function, inverting or solving equations with it are examples of it).

paul