[Om] name of OMS

Paul Libbrecht paul at activemath.org
Thu Jul 31 01:09:48 CEST 2008

Hello OpenMathers,

I would like to raise an ambiguity that I find in the current OpenMath
vocabulary, e.g. as found in the OpenMath 2 specification:

  Symbols are encoded using the OMS element.

Although there's no statement about the "name" of the OMS element,
this seems to be mean that that OMS really means a symbol and I find
this ambiguous with the common naming "symbol" for a member of a
content-dictionary.

I would thus prefer to use, as much as possible, the name the element
OMS as "symbol reference".
This would strengthen the URI nature of an OMS and, unavoidably its
potential URL nature.

I am not clear yet, but I think it would mean an amount of changes for
the OpenMath 3 spec, at least the line above.

What do you think?

thanks in advance

paul