[Om] maple to mathematica translator

Paul Libbrecht paul at activemath.org
Tue Mar 31 22:53:20 CEST 2009

Jacques,

Le 31-mars-09 à 17:00, Jacques Carette a écrit :

> Probably not what the people on the OM list want to hear, but ever
> since
> Maple 7 and Mathematica 5 (whatever was released in 2001, see
> http://www.w3.org/Math/iandi/ for example), through MathML one can
> 'translate' between the two systems.  This is automatic via
> cut-and-paste of MathML.

I wish you were right but, as far as I know you can only paste MathML
into Maple.
Copying first involves invoking a function that generates the MathML,
or using the "export as html" (where you can read the mathML-content
as applet params, oh glory!).

(note, this was in Maple 10 on Mac, there may be differences and
novelties in Maple 11 or 12)

> The quality of the translation is depending on the quality of the
> MathML
> services of each implementation.  But I remember people demoing some
> non-trivial cut-and-paste between these two products in 2002.

> Maple has a MathML[Export] function built-in (which exports Content
> and
> Presentation in parallel, usually the best choice).  Mathematica's
> ImportString[] function knows how to decode MathML (see
> http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/ref/format/MathML.html for an
> example).

with the usual incompatibilities... e.g. isn't there a few inverse
trigonometric functions which are incompatible and one of the two
exports a csymbol?

paul