[Om] Multistep "equation" symbol?

Christoph LANGE ch.lange at jacobs-university.de
Tue May 12 12:19:31 CEST 2009

Hi Peter,

> From
> http://www.openmath.org/standard/om20-2004-06-30/openmath2.rng
> I understand that OMFOREIGN must contain valid XML. You frequently use
>
> stuff like:
> > <OMA><OMS name="multistep">
> >   <OMFOREIGN encoding="LaTeX">
> >     \sqrt{n^2+1} - n
> >   </OMFOREIGN>
>
> which is -- from my point of view -- not valid OpenMath at all.

Where is the problem?  OMFOREIGN need not contain OpenMath objects, but, as
you said above, valid XML (of datatype string, as specified in the Relax NG
schema).  "\sqrt{n^2+1} - n" is a valid string in XML.  I cannot give any
recommendation on how your parser should treat OMFOREIGN, but it is likely
that they will encounter encodings (such as LaTeX) that they don't understand
-- because they are, well, _foreign_.

Hope that helps,

Christoph