[Om] Adding DLMF links to CDs [Re: How to translate csymbol/@definitionURL]

Paul Libbrecht paul at activemath.org
Wed Aug 25 08:04:53 CEST 2010

I encountered another usage recently... probably not *exactly*
definition oriented: search canonicalization rules.
Examples of such are provided in Abou Youssef and Moody Altamimi's
paper at extrememarkup for content-MathML but almost each rule could
be considered an FMP.

What's interesting there is that really not all FMPs qualify as
canonicalization rules (e.g. the associativity can, but probably only
the one which "flattens"), that it goes in one sense and not the other
(applying a definition such as the binomial coefficient's factorial
expression certainly shouldn't go backwards for a normal search
comparison, coming from 1 to sin^2 x + cos^2 x would be horribly
surprising).

I am not sure what is the criterion, except length shortening, but
FMPs clearly are concerned, it's... just another set of FMPs.
More important, I believe, is that we give IDs to FMPs!

paul