[Om] Tuple and list : any distinction?

Joe Collins joseph.collins at nrl.navy.mil
Thu Feb 18 18:56:15 CET 2010

Dear Michael,

Most of what you write is roughly consistent with what I have understood, and
helps a little more with the OpenMath flavor.
I was a little thrown by "Semantics of OpenMath and MathML3", Kohlhase & Rabe,
where:

Definition 3 (OM Context). An OM context C is an n-tuple of variables
which we will write as <x1 , . . . , xn >. We will use + for tuple
concatenation and $\in$ for tuple membership.

implies tuple concatenation is normal.
(Sorry, I didn't mean to knock you for inconsistency).

Let me, however, get straight to my real concern.
I want to represent a coordinate variable tuple like (X, Y, Z) or
(r, theta, phi). I do NOT consider these "vectors" in general.
I was considering using tuple to construct them, but then needed a
means of indexing them. Either adding a "tuple_selector" symbol or using the
existing list symbols seemed to be the two best options, with my preference
towards the "tuple_selector" symbol.
After this feedback on the OpenMath flavor of things, my preference has
increased in that direction.

If you ask "Why not 'vectors'?", I'll ask
"What does it mean to add
(r1, theata1, phi1) + (r2, theata2, phi2)  ?".

(Things aren't sufficiently interesting if you stay in Cartesian coordinates!)

Regards,
Joe

--
Joseph B. Collins, Ph.D.