[Om] SCOVO: Statistical Core Vocabulary

Professor James Davenport jhd at cs.bath.ac.uk
Wed Jan 27 09:43:44 CET 2010

On Wed, January 27, 2010 3:37 am, Christoph LANGE wrote:
> Dear James, dear all,
>
>   yet another report on how the semantic web community represents units:
> The
> Statistical Core Vocabulary, designed for representing statistical data on
> the
> semantic web (http://sw-app.org/pub/eswc09-inuse-scovo.pdf), also deals
> with units.  Some very superficial first impressions:
>
> * Representing statistical facts (previously hidden in databases) in a
> more
>   semantic way has a great potential; see the related approaches mentioned
> in that paper.
True indeed (though the number of "related approaches" was depressing)
> * Statistical databases need units.
> * SCOVO has a very basic ontology of units
> * SCOVO is designed by several "big players" in the semantic web community
> and
>   seems to work well for them; so I think they wouldn't be interested in
They appear to be totally wedded to RDF
> using OpenMath, but on the other hand:
>   * it could nevertheless make sense to contact them
>   * we might encounter them in future meetings on standardizing unit
>     representation
>   * maybe there is something that can be learnt from SCOVO
I  found this a useful reminder that we really ought to address the "RDF
and OpenMath" issue.

James Davenport
Recently: Visiting Full Professor, University of Waterloo
Now back as:
Lecturer on XX10190, CM30070, CM30078/50123, CM50209
Hebron & Medlock Professor of Information Technology, University of Bath
OpenMath Content Dictionary Editor and Programme Chair, OpenMath 2009
IMU Committee on Electronic Information and Communication