[Om] Adding DLMF links to CDs [Re: How to translate csymbol/@definitionURL]

Christoph LANGE ch.lange at jacobs-university.de
Sat Jul 17 23:03:29 CEST 2010

http://trac.mathweb.org/OM3/ticket/122

> Thanks. I am slightly worried by Urs' comments, though only slightly (One
> could argue that the 'author' is the author of the chapter, not the author
> of the 'sin' section).

Bruce's answer will help us with that.

> Of course, one option (not that I necessarily support it) would be to
> annotate FMPs as being the same as DLMF's equations, not the whole
> function.

That would be a reasonable alternative, because one could argue that the DLMF
does not describe functions, but rather _properties_ of functions.  But then
we get a problem with OpenMath:  The OpenMath CD language supports annotations
inside OpenMath objects, but not inside CD elements, e.g. an FMP itself cannot
be annotated.  Such annotations would have to be stored externally from the
CDs, e.g. in RDF files, or (Heaven forbid! ;-) in OMDoc variants of the CDs.
Storing the annotations in external RDF files would make them harder to
maintain, and harder to use for anything except serving RDF to linked data
clients, but I'd really like to include these links in the XHTML renderings of
the CDs.

> David Carlisle's comments worries me more, but I need to think about it.

I will stay tuned for David's reply, maybe it was just a little
misunderstanding between him and me, on how to translate
csymbol/@definitionURL into an OMS.

Cheers,

Christoph