[Om] Adding DLMF links to CDs [Re: How to translate csymbol/@definitionURL]

Christoph LANGE ch.lange at jacobs-university.de
Sun Jul 18 12:37:50 CEST 2010

Hi Paul,

> Isn't it pretty obvious that treating in OpenMath things outside
> OpenMath is problematic?

It took me some time to realize that.  Before this discussion, I had thought
that the OpenMath CD language merely has an awkward way of dealing with URIs,
but otherwise is more expressive than RDFS.

> Don't we need some "functors" down here that would "create an OpenMath
> something" based on some external description? Here's my 2p, using  a
> functor external1#dlmf-description which would be interpreted as "a
> symbol defined in the text pointed at the named URL with the classical
> rigor of DLMF".

I think there is now a consensus emerging for representing these links outside
of the CDs.

> <FMP><OMOBJ>
>    <OMA><OMS cd="relation1" name="eq"/>
>          <OMS cd="transc1" name="sin"/>
> 	<OMA>
> 		<OMS cd="external1" name="dlmf-description"/>
> 		<OMSTR>http://dlmf.nist.gov/4.14.E1</OMSTR>
> 	</OMA>
> </OMA>
> </OMOBJ></FMP>

I don't think that a specific external1#dlmf-description is needed, as from
the http://dlmf... URI it's already clear that we are talking about the DLMF.
But what we would probably need, and what could solve the issue of translating
csymbol/@definitionURLs to OpenMath, might be a generic String→URI
constructor, e.g.

<OMA>
	<OMS cd="external1" name="uri"/>
	<OMSTR>http://dlmf.nist.gov/4.14.E1</OMSTR>
</OMA>

> I would tend to feel this as being cleaner.
> And I have no preference between relation1#eq and owl#sameAs. I think
> the more interesting question is what would be the equivalence of
> subclass statements.

I didn't understand the last sentence, could you please explain it again?

Cheers,

Christoph