[Om] OpenMath 2010

Professor James Davenport jhd at cs.bath.ac.uk
Sun Jul 18 23:20:34 CEST 2010

On Sun, July 18, 2010 12:51 pm, Michael Kohlhase
begin_of_the_skype_highlighting     end_of_the_skype_highlighting wrote:

> I had always read it as the first. But I guess the second reading is
> also possible, but maybe not immediately clear from the specification.
> If we intend this reading to be the used, we should probably make this
> very clear.
That's certainly true.
>>   >  MK felt that we should work towards a new normative standard.
>>
>> I think we should be _extremely_ cautious about doing that. After more
>> than a decade we finally have OpenMath and Content MathML formally
>> aligned and to do anything at this point to break that alignment before
>> MathML3 is even standardised, but when it's too late in the process to
>> change it if OpenMath changes would be extremely damaging. At most we
>> could consider an editorial "second edition" which acknowledges the
>> MathML3 work, and fixes a few typos etc, but we should not introduce an
>> "OpenMath 3" that changes the OpenMath Object model or CD format.
> I can understand your call to caution here. But I think that you should
> give the process some credit here. The mandate was to "bring OpenMath to
> the post-MathML3 world". And what do do exactly should be decided by
> this process. And of course we have to be careful not to jeopardize the
> alignment.
I'm inclined to agree, which is why I prepfer the OM 2 second edition, or
OM 2.1 label.
As a minimum we should mention the MathML encoding. We should give a
pointer to the XSL, and at least say that it is CORRECT, even if not the
only way to do it.

As I've said, I think it is becoming more important to do DeFMP, and I'd
like tosee (linked in with MathML) some movement on notation files.

James Davenport
Lecturer on XX10190, CM30070, CM30078/50123, CM50209
Hebron & Medlock Professor of Information Technology, University of Bath
OpenMath Content Dictionary Editor and Programme Chair, OpenMath 2009
IMU Committee on Electronic Information and Communication
Council of the British Computer Society
Federal Council, International Foundation for Computational Logic