[Om] Adding DLMF links to CDs [Re: How to translate csymbol/@definitionURL]

Bruce Miller bruce.miller at nist.gov
Mon Jul 19 17:32:09 CEST 2010

On 07/18/2010 06:10 AM, Professor James Davenport wrote:
> That's a fair comment. Indeed, if I were being negative, I could say that
> DLMF DOESN'T define 'sin', it "merely" states a set of properties about
> it. Of course, in some cases the definition is difficult (consider log).

It would be too glib to ask what the difference is :>
More seriously, there are certainly some properties
that are more important or fundamental than others.
Of course, some objects are defined by conjunctions
(eg solutions to <ref a differential equation> satisfying
<ref some initial conditions>).  There may not be
(currently) in DLMF a satisfyingly focused single URL
for such a thing. [The point being that an eventual
DeFMP needs to capture these conjunctions.]

>> Incidentally2, yes, the reference-number-based URL's
> You mean 4.14.E1 rather than 4.14#E1 I assume?
yes.

>> are intended to be permanent, but the reference

bruce