[Om] Adding DLMF links to CDs [Re: How to translate csymbol/@definitionURL]

Christoph LANGE ch.lange at jacobs-university.de
Tue Jul 20 00:16:26 CEST 2010

> On 07/19/2010 12:58 PM, Christoph LANGE wrote:
> >> I don't know that I intentionally suggested that, or followed
> >> someone elses suggestion, but if such a URL were to
> >> become valid in the near term, it would probably just
> >> be a restatement of the informal notion of
> >> 4.14.E1 "defining" sine.  That is,
> >> http://dlmf.nist.gov/#sin would (currently) redirect to
> >> http://dlmf.nist.gov/4.14.E1 which would redirect to
> >> http://dlmf.nist.gov/4.14#E1
> >
> > A plain redirect seems wrong to me, because that would give a client the
> > false impression that http://dlmf.nist.gov/#sin is somehow the same as
> > http://dlmf.nist.gov/4.14.E1.
>
> That's what I meant about "confusing", below.
> Note that currently #sin does nothing. But if
> DLMF were forced too quickly to have "URI's that name sin",
> that is the closest we could get.

Now I understand what you mean.  Now that we have figured out in this
discussion that we should get started by linking OM FMPs to DLMF equations,
neither I nor anyone else should force you to introduce a URI for the sin
function.

> Ie. those 2 uri's are different and name different things
> (sin and an equation, respectively).  If they were
> dereferenced, fetching the "concrete materialization"
> in your terms, they may end up returning the same
> resource.

Hmm, anyway, temporarily redirecting from #sin to the equation 4.14#E1 might
still be possible, if you use the right redirection code.  That means
particularly not 303, because 303 would give the false impression that 4.14#E1
is an HTML encoding of "the sine function".  A different kind of redirect
might be possible.  If you are interested in that, that's something I could
figure out.  Maybe it's documented somewhere, or it could be asked on the
public-lod at w3.org list.

> Of course, this is folded into the general question
> of how DLMF should support these efforts in general;
> whether DLMF even needs a "sine object" and a URI
> to reference it...

As I said above, for the initial linking of OpenMath CDs to DLMF (i.e. FMPs to
equations), we have all we need for now.  From my RDF point of view it would
certainly be nice to have a "sine object", but I'd say that should be
determined by the needs of DLMF in the first place.  OTOH, I could imagine
datasets linking to DLMF (rather than the OpenMath CDs) as an authoritative
source of functions, i.e. something similar to the "statistical dataset" use
case I sketched for OpenMath.

Cheers,

Christoph