[Om] Question concerning OpenMath encoding

Heeren, Bastiaan Bastiaan.Heeren at ou.nl
Thu Mar 25 08:51:39 CET 2010

Hello,

I have a silly question about the OpenMath encoding, and the symbols defined in the list1 dictionary in particular. Suppose I want to represent the empty list with the n-ary symbol list1.list. Should that be:

   <OMA><OMS cd='list1' name='list' /></OMA>

or just:

   <OMS cd='list1' name='list' />

In case both are correct, would you consider one to be better than the other one?

I could not figure out the correct encoding from the online documentation. To me, it seems strange to have an application without arguments to the function. On the other hand, if you are expecting a list, it is more regular to have the <OMA> surrounding the list symbol.

I hope someone can provide me with an answer.

All the best,
Bastiaan