[Om] Question concerning OpenMath encoding

David Carlisle davidc at nag.co.uk
Fri Mar 26 10:24:22 CET 2010

On 25/03/2010 07:51, Heeren, Bastiaan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a silly question about the OpenMath encoding, and the symbols defined in the list1 dictionary in particular. Suppose I want to represent the empty list with the n-ary symbol list1.list. Should that be:
>
>     <OMA><OMS cd='list1' name='list' /></OMA>
>
> or just:
>
>     <OMS cd='list1' name='list' />
>
> In case both are correct, would you consider one to be better than the other one?
>
> I could not figure out the correct encoding from the online documentation. To me, it seems strange to have an application without arguments to the function. On the other hand, if you are expecting a list, it is more regular to have the<OMA>  surrounding the list symbol.

You should use the OMA form. That is the list constructor applied to
form an empty list while the second form is the list constructor itself
(unapplied) so it is a valid Om expression but it denotes the function
term rather than the empty list obtained by applying that function to no
arguments.

David