[Om] IPR (licensing) of Content Dictionaries

Michael Kohlhase m.kohlhase at jacobs-university.de
Thu Dec 12 14:55:31 CET 2013

Dear OpenMathers,

the OpenMath Society has been approached by the W3C to supply a IPR
statement for the OpenMath2 Standard and CDs.

As you probably know, OpenMath2  is referenced normatively by W3C
MathML3, and the  W3C is considering MathML3 for transposition into an
ISO/IEC standard. For that to progress, ISO needs to know our IPR policy.

The OM Steering Committee deliberated this and came up with the
following policy:
http://www.openmath.org/documents/openmath-ipr.html

In the process, we had to make sure that all the content dictionaries in
the MathML CD Group (which are reference in MathML) have an appropriate
license (and they did). For the contributed CDs this process is still
ongoing, but should terminate soon (this is inessential for MathML, but
seems like good housekeeping).

This message is to notify the OpenMath community that new CDs will only
accepted if they have an explicit licensing comment. Preferrably they
would be licensed under the license used in the official CDs (see e.g.
in http://www.openmath.org/cd/calculus1.xhtml).

Best,

Michael Kohlhase (for the OpenMath Steering Committee)

 Prof. Dr. Michael Kohlhase,        Office: Research 1, Room 168
 Professor of Computer Science  Campus Ring 1,
 Jacobs University Bremen           D-28759 Bremen, Germany
 tel/fax: +49 421 200-3140/-493140  skype: m.kohlhase
 m.kohlhase at jacobs-university.de http://kwarc.info/kohlhase