[Om] Bibliography; JEM homepage; CD notation format [Re: OpenMath bibliography]

Paul Libbrecht paul at hoplahup.net
Mon May 27 23:07:56 CEST 2013

On 27 mai 2013, at 19:04, Christoph LANGE wrote:

> Hi Lars (@Paul, @Olga: some questions for you inline),

>> Is there a reasonably up-to-date OpenMath bibliography somewhere (that I
>> just can't seem to find at the moment)?
>
> I am not aware of an official one, but the bibliography of Michael
> Kohlhase's research group (to which I am also still contributing) at
> https://svn.kwarc.info/repos/kwarc/doc/bibs/kwarc.bib (best to check out
> with Subversion and update occasionally) is reasonably complete at least
> w.r.t. the MKM side of OpenMath.
>>
>> One would think that
>>
>>  http://www.openmath.org/documents/bibliography.html
>>
>> should be such a thing, but it only has entries from 1996--2000. :-(
>
> I doubt anyone would volunteer to keep this up to date, or to set up a
> BibTeX to HTML conversion at openmath.org, even though such conversions
> are working elsewhere in theory and in practice.
>
> Therefore let me suggest that, to this page, we _manually_ add links to
> kwarc.bib and possibly other partial community-maintained OpenMath
> bibliographies.  Makes sense?

Makes sense.
We could also link to individuals having published there simply.
(the activemath group had a similar economy of publications but it has been private)

>> whatever is the main reference for the .ntn file format (and associated
>> things).
>
> Note that there is no such thing as "_the_ .ntn" file format.
>
> There is one by Paul and others (developed for ActiveMath), for which
> AFAIK the best reference is ManLib:apo05 (MKM 2005) in kwarc.bib.  The
> OM 2007 talk (actually I wonder whether there is a _paper_, as the
> homepage only links to "abstract and slides") seems to report on some
> more "recent" experiences with some _aspects_ of this format.  (@Paul,
> you may want to correct my comment.)

The paper at the workshop is linked from here:
	http://www.hoplahup.net/paul_pubs/CD-notations.html

> There is a competing one by Michael and others, for which the best
> reference is KMR:NoLMD08 (CICM 2008) in kwarc.bib.

and which Florian Rabe presented at that same workshop.

> Both parties called their files *.ntn and tried to push their format (or
> rather a merger of both – not sure) for MathML 3 but didn't succeed, as
> others (mainly David Carlisle IIRC, who is also on this list) argued
> that XSLT can do the job well enough.  (Actually Paul's approach is
> implemented based on XSLT.)  The last MathML 3 working draft that
> includes this specification (in section 8.6) is w3c:WD-MathML3-20080409
> in kwarc.bib.

Arguments against were in several other directions, the biggest being that it was yet another feature of MathML and one that was not completely mature. I still claim against XSLT that such an approach was more declarative and thus more safely exchangeable, the paper http://www.hoplahup.net/paul_pubs/openmath-utility.html gives some arguments about it.

Note also that there has been quite many other notations' based rendering libraries rendering OpenMath to some of HTML, TeX, or MathML presentation (e.g. that of Watt-Naylor, that of Smirnova-Watt, that of OMDoc 1.2, that of the OpenMath website, ...).
Each attempts to answer its particular set of challenges with its particular type of technology.
That of the Kwarc team aimed at a bigger simplicity with more flexibility in the interactiveness of the rendering, that of the ActiveMath group stemmed from the need to adjust the notations based on language and other factors, Smirnova-Watt aimed at a user-interface for authors to choose from.

>> Here, several links lead into jem-thematic.net, and are thus
>> nowadays broken.
>
> @Olga: The JEM homepage was archived from Drupal into static HTML, but
> that shouldn't have done harm to the URLs.  However it turns out that
> links such as http://jem-thematic.net/node/167 no longer work but
> actually have to be accessed as http://jem-thematic.net/node/167/
> (leading to .../index.html).  The best solution would be to improve the
> redirections at jem-thematic.net; a workaround for OpenMath would be to
> fix any such links on openmath.org.  @Paul, would you (being one of the
> 2007 editors) mind doing it?

Thanks for spotting. Done.