[Om] Named functions in OpenMath

David Carlisle davidc at nag.co.uk
Tue May 5 13:12:53 CEST 2015

On 05/05/2015 11:39, Wenzel, Ken wrote:
> OK, I understand. Would you suggest that the FMPs content should be simply
> fns1.lambda[$a, $b -> $a * $b]
> or should I use some kind of equation like
> mycd.area = fns1.lambda[$a, $b -> $a * $b]

the second, or mycd.area(a,b)=a*b

> The problem with OpenMath is that I don't have the possibility to declare
> http://example.org/mycd#area
> as a symbol AND as the lambda expression at the same time.

The original model split that between CDs and the object syntax it is true.

There is of course nothing to stop you having a CD that allows the
definition of symbols within the language.

For example the programming cd

http://www.openmath.org/cd/prog1.xhtml

has constructs for "let" and "function definition" which give
local interpretation to OMV  which may then be used
to reference those functions by name.

David

The Numerical Algorithms Group Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales with company number 1249803. The registered office is:

This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Microsoft Office 365.