[Om] java.symcomp.org is down

Kovács Zoltán zoltan at geogebra.org
Sat Sep 29 10:00:49 CEST 2018

Dear Community,

after several attempts I need to say that I must give up my experiments
with SCSCP, at least for now. The Symcomp page is now on a completely
different topic: "Murphy Beds Wall Bed Designs Ideas", I am unsure if this
is intentional or the page has been hacked.

On the other hand, I found the GitHub page
https://github.com/symcomp/org.symcomp.openmath which contains the same
code as the 1.5.0 bundle. That's fine, but it has not been touched in the
last 8 years and it doesn't even compile:

.../org.symcomp-1.5.0-src$ *mvn install*
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[ERROR] [ERROR] Some problems were encountered while processing the POMs:
[WARNING] 'build.plugins.plugin.(groupId:artifactId)' must be unique but
found duplicate declaration of plugin org.scala-tools:maven-scala-plugin @
line 126, column 23
[WARNING] 'build.plugins.plugin.version' for
org.codehaus.mojo:antlr3-maven-plugin is missing. @ line 96, column 21
[WARNING] 'build.plugins.plugin.version' for
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-jar-plugin is missing. @ line 91, column 21
[WARNING] 'pluginRepositories.pluginRepository.layout' for java.net uses
the unsupported value 'legacy', artifact resolution might fail. @ line 177,
column 21
[ERROR] 'pluginRepositories.pluginRepository.id' must be unique:
people.apache.org -> http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository
vs http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository @ line 95, column 13
[WARNING] 'build.plugins.plugin.version' for
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin is missing. @ line 32,
column 15
[WARNING] 'build.plugins.plugin.version' for
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-jar-plugin is missing. @ line 41, column 15
[WARNING] 'pluginRepositories.pluginRepository.layout' for java.net uses
the unsupported value 'legacy', artifact resolution might fail. @ line 87,
column 15
 @
[ERROR] The build could not read 1 project -> [Help 1]
[ERROR]
[ERROR]   The project org.symcomp:scscp:1.5.0
(.../org.symcomp-1.5.0-src/scscp/pom.xml) has 1 error
[ERROR]     'pluginRepositories.pluginRepository.id' must be unique:
people.apache.org -> http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository
vs http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository @ line 95, column 13
[ERROR]
[ERROR] To see the full stack trace of the errors, re-run Maven with the -e
switch.
[ERROR]
please read the following articles:
[ERROR] [Help 1]
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/ProjectBuildingException

The reason I tried version 1.5.0 instead of 1.4.0 because I cannot get
correctly connected with MapleNet from Java by using the 1.4 SCSCP
protocol: finally the connection is dropped by MapleNet. (It sends an
"unsupported_CD, <OMS cd = 'scscp_transient_maple' name =
'Differentiate'/>" message.) Maybe this is not the forum to discuss the
reason why the connection is rejected (I have a working connection from a
normal Maple client with the same OM XML call, so I guess there must be
some differences in the SCSCP protocols being used), but it's annoying that
I couldn't compile the symcomp package, either. I consider symcomp the
official way to connect via SCSCP in Java, so, if it is not maintained any
longer, I have mixed feelings on continuing with SCSCP in general.

I learned that the Java sources of OMSymbol and others are removed from
1.5.0 and there is only Scala code that seems to jump in for OMSymbol.java
and so on, unless the Java code is simply missing from the repository (I'm
not a Scala expert, sorry).

Thanks for any hints in advance. But now I think it's extremely complicated
to set up an SCSCP connection in Java properly with Maple, and since my
MapleNet license will expire today, I am unsure if this is the way to go
(to send a simple string via http like in SingularWS
<https://github.com/kovzol/singularws> seems much simpler and quicker).

Best,
Zoltan

Kovács Zoltán <zoltan at geogebra.org> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. aug. 22., Sze,