[Om] Proposal for Extending OpenMath Standard with a JSON Encoding

Michael Kohlhase michael.kohlhase at fau.de
Mon Jul 8 11:55:22 CEST 2019

Dear James,

On 08.07.19 10:44, James Davenport wrote:
> Looks good - I don’t know enough JSON to comment on the technical
> details. There’s some editorial work that needs doing - Appendix H is
> increasingly inappropriately titled!

Just to reconfirm, you object to the "OM2 revision 3" is not being in
the title.

I would suggest that we split Appendix H into "OM 1.1 to OM 2" and into
"OM2 Revisions". What do you think?

Michael

> James
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 8 Jul 2019, at 09:08, Tom Wiesing <tom.wiesing at fau.de
> <mailto:tom.wiesing at fau.de>> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Me and Michael would like to propose an extension of the OpenMath
>> standard to endorse an OpenMath JSON Encoding. We have made a pull
>> request at [0] and attached a diffed pdf.
>>
>> JSON is a lightweight data-interchange format used heavily in the Web
>> Applications area. Adding a JSON Encoding thus contributes to making
>> OpenMath web-interoperable. The source code for a validator of this
>> proposed encoding, as well as a translator from/to the XML encoding
>> can be found at [1]. It is also accessible via API at [2].
>>
>> We presented this encoding during the OpenMath workshop at CICM 2018
>> (see [3] and [4]), however we were only able to make a concrete
>> standard proposal until now. We are hoping to discuss this during the
>> upcoming OpenMath workshop at CICM 2019 next week, however wanted to
>> send out our proposal beforehand.
>>
>> Greetings,
>> Tom
>>
>> [0] https://github.com/OpenMath/OMSTD/pull/69
>> [1] https://github.com/tkw1536/OpenMath-JSON
>> [2] https://omjson.openmath.org
>> [3] http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-2307/paper53.pdf
>> [4] https://www.cicm-conference.org/2018/slides/OpMa2.pdf
>> <omstd20-diff.pdf>

Prof. Dr. Michael Kohlhase,  http://kwarc.info/kohlhase, skype: mibein42

Professur für Wissensrepräsentation & -verarbeitung
  Informatik, FAU Erlangen Nürnberg, Martensstr. 3, D-91058 Erlangen, Room 11.139,
  tel/fax: (49) 9131-85-64052/55, michael.kohlhase at fau.de